Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Earring Trees for Lovely Earrings

I LOVE earrings. Truly. They are by far my favorite accessory. Until about four years ago, I used a butterfly earring tree that had been passed down to me from my sisters. At some point, I realized that the poor butterfly had become laden with too many earrings. Resourceful and somewhat impulsive, I found an old picture frame and purchased a piece of wire mesh that one would use in a screen door. I whipped the two together and had a new home for my earrings. Sadly, this creation has not survived the test of time.


Above, a profile view of said busted earring tree with cat toy and flip flip in background.

To the left, a front view of said busted earring tree with earrings placed much too close for comfort.

So, what to do? Make a new earring tree! I've been thinking about using a shadow box frame instead of a tabletop frame, as it would provide more structure and less wobbliness. I went out to Joanne Fabrics, picked up a new frame, on sale no less, and got crafting. Official steps are below.



Shadow Box Earring Tree

Materials:
Shadow box frame, any size (This really depends upon how large you want your earring tree to be. I chose a frame that is 10"x10".)
Wire mesh (I purchased a roll of this stuff at Lowes for about $7 and now I will be making earring trees for everyone ever--which is okay because I like to do it. If you don't want to do that, go to a smaller hardware store where you can usually buy smaller pieces.)
Hot glue
Paper for the background of the box
Scissors (Try to use a pair you don't care about too much. Cutting the mesh will dull the scissors somewhat.)
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Sharpie

Directions:

1. Take apart the shadow box and set all pieces aside except cardboard insert included with box.

2. Measure the piece of paper or picture that you chose for the background of the box against the cardboard insert. Trim off edges.
3. Glue the piece of paper to the cardboard with the Mod Podge and the foam brush. Set all aside.
4. Unroll a decent-sized piece of wire mesh. Lay the piece of glass from the shadow box on top of the mesh.
5. Trace around the piece of glass with a sharpie. Lay something underneath the mesh as you trace! Do NOT make the mistake I did in the above picture and then scramble to scrub sharpie from the floor.
6. Remove piece of glass and cut along traced lines.
7. Place piece of mesh against the inside front of the shadow box frame. Apply hot glue to all edges of the mesh.
My earrings are still a bit crowded. Good thing I have excess wire mesh to make another tree!
8. Put the frame back together again without the glass. Hang your earrings in the frame. Yay! Look what you made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.