Saturday, January 21, 2012

Felt Klingons Orchestrate Blizzard

Erik 2.0 Super Tablet
This week started off on a good vibe: I launched this blog, got my car a long overdue oil change, and managed to clean up the living room from some recent craft abuse it had taken. On Wednesday, we celebrated Erik's birthday with our good friends, Mike and Miranda. We gorged ourselves on a delicious dinner out and then returned to our apartment for ice cream cake (Erik's birthday would absolutely not be complete without ice cream cake!). I have been planning on buying Erik a shiny tablet computer for his birthday. However, the model I want to purchase for him is out of stock, or ridiculously overpriced. In order to make up for the fact that Erik will have to wait a little while longer for his gift, I designed the Erik 2.0 Super Tablet for his interim amusement. This intricate piece of technology features 9000GB of storage space and a passing-real 3D picture experience. It's truly amazing, when combined, what felt, tinfoil, and hot glue can do, no? From a literal crafty perspective, I like the idea of a portable felt board, or of felt boards in general. Felt is a medium that I've recently become quite interested in using--it's inexpensive, comes in a variety of colors, and can be used in a variety of projects, from ornaments to embellishments on clothing to actual pieces of clothing. I'm still getting the hang of cutting felt into the designs I want. But, as with anything, practice will make perfect.

Last night, I hung out with my good friend, Kerry, brilliant chef and fellow crafter. Typically on Friday nights our two husbands get together with their group of friends and game. This leaves the non-gaming contingent up to their own devices, which usually means trash TV and wine. A few weeks ago, Kerry suggested that we throw crafting into the mix, and I wholeheartedly agreed. Kerry brought along a cross-stitch project she has been making. Martha Stewart provides handy instructions at her website about how to cross-stitch. I haven't cross-stitched since I was in third grade, but it's something that I'm interested in picking up when time permits. If you're interested in cross-stitch or embroidery work, I recommend you check out Amy Sedaris' book Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People. Besides being fun to read, this book contains some funky embroidery art by Megan Whitmarsh that is worth taking a look at for inspiration or just for kicks.

Qapla for head ridges on baby hats!
While Kerry worked on her cross-stitch, I continued working on my second Klingon baby hat. If you decide to follow this blog, you will come to learn of my love for Star Trek. The idea for a Klingon baby hat popped into my head a few months ago due to the fact that I have friends who also love Star Trek who have babies. I ran out of yarn before I could finish the hair on the second hat, which will feature a ponytail to keep the hair out of baby's face. I also have plans for a Vulcan baby hat--the idea of a severe haircut and pointy ears on a chubby face is just too good to pass up.

Anyway, today is the first truly snowy day in Massachusetts this winter. I've been enjoying it by drinking lots of coffee, reading the third book in the Hunger Games triology, and starting a new cowl. It's a wonderfully lazy day after a busy week, and I love it.
It's finally winter!

5 comments:

  1. Well I came across your blog by Google "Klingon and crochet". I love the baby Klingon hats. Would you ever put a pattern up for them? Also I have always wondered how you make yarn look like dreads and wavy. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Crystal! I just realized that I posted these pictures a year ago...!

    I put the Klingon baby hat on the backburner several months ago due to a move and general life whackiness. When I stopped, I was still experimenting with working out the kinks. I'd like to get the pattern down solid before I share the pattern, so stay posted!

    Re: the hair: I used super thick yarn and unraveled it. This makes for a TON of hair. I saw this pattern: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10581.html?service=801&letterId=55810 for a baby lion hat on the Lion Brand Yarns website, and I'm thinking about trying to use the mane idea for the Klingon hair to make it a bit more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I would love to make these hats, but I can't seem to figure out how to put the ridges on the hat. Are they made separately and then sewed on, or is it within the pattern of the hat? I'm newbie when it comes to crochet, so any hints and advice would be super appreciated. Thank you and love these hats!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your comment. For the ridges, I made three separate chain pieces and then sewed them onto the hat.

      Delete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.