Monday, March 11, 2013

Wielding the Power of Time and Relative Dimension in Space

My good friends, Mike and Miranda, are having a baby in about a month. I started a little tradition, when my friend, Sarah, was pregnant of finding a pixelated image and translating it into a quilt. Sarah had decided that her daughter's name would be Zelda, and so I made a Legend of Zelda quilt. Sadly, I do not have pictures of that quilt, but, basically, it was a giant Link. For Mike and Miranda's baby, I decided to make a Dr. Who inspired quilt, as they like that show a lot. I like that show, too, and, you know, space is cool. Erik did a bit of research for me and found this image. I used graph paper to map out the quilt and count how many squares I would need to make it. It took me about three weeks to cut the squares (started using a rotary cutter and OMG. Bless that tool--bless it!) and sew them all together. I decided to use 2x2inch squares, which made a smallish grown-up blanket, but extra-largish baby blanket. I think it's a good size to throw on the ground for play time or for snuggling on the couch. Now for the pictures...

Look! It's the Tardis!

Mid-section close-up.

I found this awesome space fabric at Joanne Fabrics. It make a perfect background for the Tardis.

Erik and I held up the quilt, as Mike took a picture.  Erik had a special expression on his face.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know anything about the Legend of Zelda, but I LOVE THIS! more baby quilts! xo

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.